Wednesday, January 26, 2011

A place of her own (and some Patch Andi news)

I've always loved the feeling of snuggling up in a confined comfy space. A cubby house full of cushions or a tent filled with mattresses and bean bags.

My kids seem to like that same comfy 'womb-like' feeling. So this summer, my crafty goals have been to create a fun and snuggly place for each of them in their bedrooms.

For Ella, I designed a "bed tent" that gives her that snuggly feeling but doesn't diminish the sense of light and space in her rather small room.

Ella in her tent

So I used some pretty fabrics from the Dream On range, recycled the bunting from her room and added some sheer netting to create the tent surrounds.

Ella's tent (inside view)

So far, she loves it so much, it has already fallen down and I need to come up with a better way of securing it to the ceiling. I have a plan but just need to get to the hardware store to buy supplies.

Jake's space is still a WIP so I'll show you that when it's finished.

____________________________________________________________

And now for that Patch Andi news:

My husband (together with me) has made some decisions about his working life this year that mean I will have to ramp up my own earning somewhat. This probably means reducing my crafting and going back to my other career which pays better and still offers significant flexibility.

Nothing to worry about. We're OK. Just changing things up a bit this year which is good.

So, I'm still happy to accept quilt commissions but won't be actively seeking them out. I'll still be blogging and crafting, but perhaps a little less regularly.

I am hoping to do some crafty teaching this year to keep my creating mojo humming along. Stay tuned for more details.

Andi xx

23 comments:

Beata said...

Absolutely stunning!!! Lucky girl....

Red Pepper Quilts - Rita Hodge said...

Ella's space is just gorgeous!

I hope you find all the flexibility you need in your paid job to allow you to craft to your heart's content.

Rita
x

Tania said...

Gee whiz, don't you just wish you could relive your own girlhood and have your very own bed tent? Although I guess I need only convince the Mr.

And everything that Rita said. Here's to flexibility and balance and the good stuff in life.

Unknown said...

Love that Snuggly feeling too ..Ella's room looks Gorgeous just what a little Girl wants..Great Job on the tent....
Good Luck with your endeavours.
cheers

Cathy @ CabbageQuilts said...

Love Ella's 'space', you are so creative Andi. Will be thinking of you with your new plans for the year. As long as you can express your creative side in there somewhere, the classes sound wonderful! xo

bec said...

Oh, Andi, took my breath away! what a lucky girl! And of course, the kid was reading over my shoulder, and immediaetly wants the same! Hi ho, hi ho....

CurlyPops said...

What a beautiful bedroom sanctuary!
Good luck with all the changes Andi.

bec said...

oh, found you a good job. Wish it were closer! http://www.purlbee.com/the-purl-bee/2011/1/25/attention-all-new-york-city-crafters-purl-soho-is-hiring.html

Anonymous said...

ooooooooh, I LOVE IT! I would love one of those tents over my bed. the fabric choice is brilliant!

x

Claire - Matching Pegs said...

Ella's bed tent is divine - everything a little girl could wish for!

Good Luck with your return to work Andi - if it is back in the same "industry" you were in previously, then all I can say is, that that aspect of the community needs more people like you. Good Luck.

Marit said...

Your daughters bed with the dream on roof is such a beautiful idea - I love how you have put that together! Best of luck with the adjustments work wise, Andi.
xoxo

andrea creates said...

that bedroom is any girls dream! best of luck with your work change :)

Mary said...

chchchanges, hope they are smooth. Ella's bed tent is ace!

sophie said...

I love what you have made, I would love that canopy for my room - so stunning! Andrew and I are in the process of making some changes too - change is good, well done for being brave.

Hi! My name is erica. Would you be my friend? said...

Oh wow! That's exactly what I want my kids' rooms to be like...little safe getaways. I'm just so bad at getting things done... Your dd is so lucky! It really looks wonderful! Good luck with the work situations. Hopefully the changes will work out well for you! :)

Kelli said...

So sweet Andi! You are so clever!!!
Good luck with your new changes but remember to keep a healthy balance of Andi time too!

Copper Patch said...

No doubt you won't be able to keep your fingers out of some crafty goodness. I hope the 'real' work doesn't take away too much craft time.
Love the bedspace for Ella...not sure that's how my womb looks ;o)

a very fine house said...

Wishing you all good things for this year Andi, hope to see you soon, Judy

karlyn Jackson said...

every little girls dream. gorgeous Andi!

danielle said...

how goreous!! best of luck with everything, and look forward to seeing what comes your way this year x

Leanne said...

I wish I had a tent bed it is great.

Amanda Jean said...

love, love LOVE the tent for the bed. you did an awesome job making it!

good luck with your upcoming life/job changes. hope it all comes together smoothly.

tiel said...

my daughter just last night said how much she wanted a 'tent' around her bed. she would love this, it's pretty special.