Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Breaking the drought (and also a little tutorial)

After a 3 week drought, I was very excited to get back to my Tuesday night 'Stitch and Bitch' class at Amitie.

It was lovely to see my very patient and talented teacher Judy again.
She has taught me so very much.

Numerous other happy patchers and quilters came along tonight.
(Note the empty champagne flutes).


And I got started on a new project for my mum's birthday coming up in December.

I used a technique that I learned watching the (online) Quilt Show. This technique was described in the show that you can watch for free. (I hope the episode hasn't changed).

In any case, I thought I'd show you how I do this gorgeous block.
It is a 'Flying Geese' block made (incredibly) with
only 1 seam!

Check this out .....

First, you cut your pieces.
I'll give the dimensions for a finished block that is 3 inches x 6 inches.

You need two 3.5 inch squares that will make the corners of the block. And you need to cut a rectangle 3.5 inches x 6.5 inches, which will make the central triangle of the block.

These ...

will eventually become these....

Here's how ...

Take the rectangle piece and fold it in half with the right side on the OUTSIDE.


Then make a sandwich with this folded rectangle as the 'filling', and 2 of the squares as the 'bread'. The 2 squares should have their right sides facing INTO the sandwich.


You will notice that the folded rectangle is the same width as the squares but 1/4 inch shorter. Place the fold of the rectangle at the end with the 1/4 inch gap (see above).

Then, with the sandwich in this same position, sew a 1/4 inch seam down the right hand side of the sandwich. (Once you get used to this process, you can chain piece lots of blocks in one go).




That's all the sewing. Amazing!!!

The magic happens with the ironing.
First, with the fold of the rectangle at the top of the block, iron out the right hand square.


Then, grab the bottom left hand corner of the folded rectangle and bring it over to the right hand side to make a folded triangle.




Iron this down ....

and voila!!!


You now have a block that can be joined together in any number of ways. Here's how I have joined mine ...


I'll show you how the whole quilt will come together once I've done a bit more work on it.

In the meantime, time for me to get to bed.

Sleep well and happy quilting!

Andi :-)

9 comments:

Louise said...

It's gorgeous! I know you have some Heather Bailey and some Liberty there but is that Valorie Wells Olive Rose? I just love the colours and how good do they look with the linen.

Anonymous said...

Andi,
Your quilt project is beautiful. Thanks for the great tutorial!
Rosalie xx

Cathy said...

wow! thanks for that tutorial on the flying geese - I am always learning so much.

I think Judi is the best teacher too - she is such a lovely and very helpful lady.

Thanks for stopping by my blog - it's great discovering new talented and local blogs.

audreypawdrey said...

This is a really neat way to make flying geese. I will have to try it and thanks for sharing it!:)

Karen Bosch said...

Interesting method - I like flying geese and this looks like it would be easy.

Amanda Jean said...

I am intruiged by that method. thanks for the tutorial.

craftytammie said...

interesting method! I'm such a fabric miser though, I don't know if I could let myself "waste" the extra fabric :) I'm going to try it today, I'll link to you on my blog!

Cheryl Arkison said...

Fantastic!

Sharon M. said...

thank you, I have been wondering what quilt I will begin, and this is it... So great....Very precise and so easy.. right up my alley.
thank you